<$BlogRSDUrl$>
.............................
Straight Angle™: Faviconomania!**
Thursday, July 28, 2005

Faviconomania!** 

Yeah..I am sort of suffering from Faviconomania....It had been my long time wish to have a favicon for my blog. Infact, I even tried to get one, just as I started the blog...But then, it never materialised. I blame it on my laziness(and also lack of proper tools...). But when Dopppsy had a link about Favicons, my pent up desire blasted out and I went into the Job almost immediately. I knew that I can get some nice Icons created through some sites(provided you have a better picture that can be converted into a *.ico file). I downloaded a program to convert a picture file into a .ico file....worked on it for quite sometime....

The worst part is this: IE supports/recognises only those Icons with 16x16 pixel size. When you compress certain(almost any) excellent pictures to that size, you end up creating an atrocious looking pigmy. I tried that with an amazing picture that I had with me(the picture that we used for the BrandScan Ad in TAPMI). I wanted to use that picture as the Favicon. I created a 16x16 pixel picture of it and tried using it. Unfortunately, Blogspot being a public domain server, I can't have the icon file uploaded to the server. I tried uploading it with Yahoo Geocities....It wudn't recognise *.ico file...Then I tried Photobucket...It refused to accept...frustrated I tried to upload the picture into the blogger itself and then put it in the blogger photo server...

Blogger too wouldn't accept a *.ico file...Totally disgusted, I thought of trying Flickr....Viola!..It accepted and I had uploaded the icon file...but strange still, it renames/reformates the file as *.JPG and uploads it...I was totally disappointed..for a favicon command to work in HTML, you need to have a *.ico(that's what I thought)..

Having exhausted all options, I thought I would try using the JPG file for one last time and if works, let it work....Then I took the URL of the picture, put that into the HTML code here in the page and Google!!!!!(I didn't want to use Yahoo!!!!!), I have got the Icon in my page....But it opens only with Mozilla...IE still doesn't recognise a JPG file...I couldn't see the icon in my blog, when I open it with IE...

BTW, I have made quite a few icons(14 I guess at last count) and had uploaded them here. Many of the Icons would be indicative of my most favourite stuff..yeah!..Google!..I made atleast 3 icons with Google theme...But what I am using here is the Gemini Theme...This seemed to be the easiest to make and the most easily recognisable one(even with a 16x16 resolution). So, for the time being now, it would be this Icon, that would decorate my page.

**- This is for those "I'm-not-net/tech-savvy" people. Favicon is the icon that you see on the address bar just before the URL of the page you are accessing. For example, when you access Google page, you might have noticed the "G" on blue or the famous butterfly in MSN pages..Normally, IE 5 and above should support Favicons....But I have(though I seldom use) IE 6 and it doesn't show any of the favicon(not even MSN's butterfly is visible)....Yet another reason for MS bashing!..Mozilla rocks!

4 Comments:

Blogger Chakra said...

Never knew this name - Favicon. Learnt quite a bit from this post.

btw, how r u doing my friend? Howz Mangalore treating you?

7/31/2005 4:21 AM  
Blogger Krish said...

@Chakra: Yeah..I learned quite a bit for this post too :)
Mangalore...its treating me very fine...but for the week-ends....Rains, coconut tree tops, pretty girls(yeah..I mean it)...mangalore is great...

8/01/2005 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you're an absolute star! Thanks so much for that enlightening method for putting up a jpeg favicon!

Best wishes from one of your kind in the US.

1/20/2006 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.myfavatar.com host free favicons in .ICO format. Works in almost all browsers. :-)

5/14/2006 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Jus beenFree Counters visits
Free Counter

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

© All that is written here are the Genuine Products of the Intellect of the author and are protected by the relevant copyright acts...If you wish to quote the highness you can do so at your own risk and at risk to the integrity of the author's cerebrum.

Disclaimer:
All that is written in this blog are the personal opinions of the author and are in no way representative of the organisation that the author has worked for or is working for or would be working for in the future.

Get Firefox!

:: Adam Smith's Controlled Greed ::



Swarnasrikrishnan/Male/28. Lives in India/Tamilnadu/Chennai, speaks Tamil, English, 

Malayalam, German, Hindi(??). Eye color is black. I am a god. I am also optimistic.
It's me machan:

Swarnasrikrishnan, Male, 28, India, Tamilnadu, Chennai, Tamil, English, Malayalam, German, Hindi(??)


::New Craze::


::Visual Treat ::
:: Paths Last Taken ::
::Partners in Wandering::


:: Strangers in Wandering ::


::Wanderers Stumbled Upon::


::Wanderers for India::


::Corporate Wanderers::


:: Traces left behind ::

April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005