<$BlogRSDUrl$>
.............................
Straight Angle™: Routine Changes!
Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Routine Changes! 

Time: 9:00 PM, 12-09-2005, Monday.
Place: Punjabi Dhaba infront of my Office.
Purpose: Dinner.

I had come a bit late for my usual time and it would be normally crowded at this time. Though, it isn't crowded now and I settle down into the table and start watching the Zee TV, which had some Amitabh Bachhan film going on...Was very much glued into the film, when I realise the sudden activity in my table..

There was the bearer, with his white-white suit[(surprisingly, this Dhaba employees look very decent and tidy!..that is one more reason why we come here...The taste is very good here(though it is a bit costly)], cleaning the table with his tools and getting some cold water in the glass. I smile at him and off..he goes and returns with the usual, Nimbu-Pyass combination...The onions are neatly cut in even circles and the lemon is fresh. I give a very pleased look and again he jumps at the next table and leaves the "Pepper- Salt" container in my table. I am mightily pleased with his understanding, for it is my practise to lace the onion with salt, pepper and lemon juice before eating it....and I am very happy about the customer service this dhaba had got...

With time passing on, and I am too immersed in the taste of onion, to note anything else, the film is getting more interesting by the second. Then, the bearer comes, puts up the plate with the lemon n onion aside, starts serving the order- Dal Rice, Masala Papad, a glass of sweet lassie- I finish this off without a murmur and then, the second round- a plate of Curd rice, ladden with onions, coriander leaves, Pomagranate seeds, Dates etc come up and I finish that off in relish....

Then comes the last part- the Bill...the bearer hands over the bill..and then, I suddenly remember something....all along, I had not placed any orders to him...He hadn't taken any orders from me...I remember coming to the Dhaba, sitting in my place and the next thing I remember is the scent of fresh onions and dal rice....Startled, I call up the bearer and ask him "Who placed the order?"...Calmly, he replies"None, But I know"

Even more startled at his reply, I ask "How come u know?", with a slightly hurt ego!

He: "Ah Saar!!..This is what you eat daily!!...Dont I know!"

Now, everything dawns on me!...Then, I start realising how I sit in the same place daily, facing the same direction, ordering the same stuff in the same order and thinking nothing about it!!..I realise, that I had been having the same food for the past so many days, without even realising that I am having the same food!!. Another event to prove the point- this happened today in the office canteen...when we went for breakfast, on seeing me, the cashier, takes a seperate bill for Idli-Vada-Sambhar with the exact change for Rs.10...It had become an accepted practice that I would give Rs.10 note and that he needs to give back the change...he takes even the change ready anticipating my Rs.10/- Similarly, for the lunch...and even for the snacks time- same strawberry milkshake!!.

My life had got into this horrifying routine...just that, whatever change I make, that change itself settles as routine!!!...*Sigh*

7 Comments:

Blogger Cogito said...

haha...can relate to it. When I was in mumbai , I had an "credit account" at a chembur hotel where I paid monthly and ate the good old thali everyday !

9/13/2005 10:18 AM  
Blogger Chakra said...

thats nice.. same thing used to happen when i was staying in a room at chennai and visit the local "durga bhavan" hotel.. on seeing my face, the waiter wd get me a pongal-vadai with an extra cup of sambhar or poori-masala as i used to alternate between these two.

9/13/2005 12:28 PM  
Blogger Krish said...

@Cogito: Yeah!..Even I have that monthly bill experience!..But to have Thalli daily!!..U loved it??

@Chakra: Good one Chakra...extra cup of Sambhar???;-)..seems like an universal addiction!;-)..even alternating between foods, settles into a routine, as u rightly said!!

9/14/2005 4:06 AM  
Blogger Srihari SN said...

Thats why i go to different places different days here in Pune, long time back wanted to write on this "Different images that you form at different places you visit"

9/14/2005 5:52 AM  
Blogger Krish said...

@Matter: Thats exactly what I am thinking of right now..But there doesnt seem to be nice hotels around this place- for regular visits..there are a couple of them- but they cant be regulars:(

9/15/2005 1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you work in the services industry or retail.....then you will be on the other side of this wall.....i can boldly say

BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT :)

9/15/2005 6:04 AM  
Blogger Krish said...

@Mottai: Long time..no see!..BTW, can understand that!..n u r so true!..If I am in retail, then I would be longing for a permanent place to eat, rather than searching for a place everytime, I go on a tour!..Good that, u had crossed that!!now, I am being here, doing this!!..:(

9/15/2005 7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Jus beenFree Counters visits
Free Counter

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com

© All that is written here are the Genuine Products of the Intellect of the author and are protected by the relevant copyright acts...If you wish to quote the highness you can do so at your own risk and at risk to the integrity of the author's cerebrum.

Disclaimer:
All that is written in this blog are the personal opinions of the author and are in no way representative of the organisation that the author has worked for or is working for or would be working for in the future.

Get Firefox!

:: Adam Smith's Controlled Greed ::



Swarnasrikrishnan/Male/28. Lives in India/Tamilnadu/Chennai, speaks Tamil, English, 

Malayalam, German, Hindi(??). Eye color is black. I am a god. I am also optimistic.
It's me machan:

Swarnasrikrishnan, Male, 28, India, Tamilnadu, Chennai, Tamil, English, Malayalam, German, Hindi(??)


::New Craze::


::Visual Treat ::
:: Paths Last Taken ::
::Partners in Wandering::


:: Strangers in Wandering ::


::Wanderers Stumbled Upon::


::Wanderers for India::


::Corporate Wanderers::


:: Traces left behind ::

April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005